FREEDOM is an independent self-advocacy group based in Buffalo, New York.
FREEDOM has been in existence since 2007.
FREEDOM stands for “Full Rights Equals Equality, Dignity and Opportunity in the Movement”.
The group’s members and supporters come from the greater Western New York region. Since the group is independent, it is not officially sponsored by an agency. Its independence sets it apart from other self-advocacy groups. The Center for Self Advocacy acts as a support agency to FREEDOM.
We meet monthly, on every third Wednesday afternoon for one hour, beginning at 4:30 pm. Our meetings are in person at 1021 Broadway Street Buffalo New York 14212, we still have a virtual option as well
What does FREEDOM do?
- Discuss topics such as transportation inequities and pay for Direct Support Professionals/ Home Health Care Aides.
- Write letters to legislators to help them understand the inequities and advocate for their position.
- Develop position papers and statements to advocate against injustice and inequity.
- Act as a sounding board for its members and other community members.
- Work to make our community a better, more inclusive place.